Friday, April 18, 2008

Speaking of strawberries and the lack of fantasy (Updated)

One of my best friends, Sara, just called to tell me that I am missing a land-mark episode of Go Diego Go. I have previously made fun of this otherwise harmless show for it's lack of authenticity. Granted, cartoons aren't ever going to claim to be factual or accurate, but there is a difference between, say, the Backyardigans and Go Diego Go. The Backyardigans are all animals who walk, talk, dance, and act like humans- anthromorphized penguin, moose, kangaroo, and ladybug- so we know from the start that this is imaginary. Dora the Explorer has a human character, Dora, but also has Boots the monkey, another animal who has been given human qualities. Once again, the cross over is obvious and there is no harm, no foul.
But Diego seems to be marketed as the cartoon version of the crocodile hunter. This is a boy who has access to lots of different kinds of animals and teaches kids very specific things about them during the course of 20 some minutes. The premise, to me anyway, is that kids can take what they learn and apply it to real life ("Hey look Mom! There is a three toed sloth/ banded armadillo/ howler monkey just like we saw on Go Diego Go!"). But then they go and mess it up by sugar coating the idea of predators and prey and don't mention that the wolves would never race against the armadillos in the relay race because they would be too busy EATING THEM.
So Sara called me today to let me know that I would be proud of Go Diego Go, episode 76, "After the Wind Blows". Seems the hero armadillo is going to help Diego save his grandfather's strawberry farm. How, you ask? By eating a bunch of strawberries and then pooping out the seeds at the appropriate time and place, of course.

I have to say I'm confused by my emotions. I am thrilled that the armadillo didn't pick up a basket of seeds and walk on his hind legs to abuelo's farm and plant the seeds himself, using a hoe and watering can. But I am also disturbed that they assume the armadillo will eat the strawberries on demand, hold his poop until it is time to let loose, and then defecate in the appropriate location, again on demand. *sigh* I will have to hold off on a final decision until after I see the entire episode for myself.

I immediately went to my DVR and found said episode and set it to record, so I can see this rare bit of, albeit far-fetched, accuracy. Want to see it too? Monday, April 21st, at 8:30 AM CT on Nick.

Update- I'm speechless. First, to correct my entry above, the hero is an iguana, not an armadillo. Resisting the urge to tear into the entire series, I will simply say that I should not be watching Go Diego Go, and I should prepare myself for questions when I let my kids watch it. If you have seen the series and have anything to add, please do so. Otherwise, I'll be moving on now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, Santa's not real? Get out of here! Seriously????? Wow, who knew!

BTW, I saw that Diego ep this morning. They actually talk about the iguana holding the seeds in its stomach so they can poop them out later!
Now, I'm a Diego lover and all, but think I'd rather watch dancing ladybugs than talking about an iguana's bowel movements!
Wow, cartoons sure have changed! Funny!

Andrea Himmelsehr said...

I know- I think about the anvils dropping on coyote's heads back when we were kids...absolutely no level of truth in those Acme packages! I guess I should be happy the kids are learning SOMETHING.

Anonymous said...

What's interesting...my sister and I only watched cartoons on Saturday mornings, that's the only time they were on TV! And, boy, they were violent, weren't they?! Now, Miles will tell me an intersting fact, I'll ask him where he learned it, and sometimes I am floored b/c he learned it from some TV show. Oh well, like you said, guess it's good they're learning something...I just need to be more diligent about the amount of time the TV is on in our house. Sometimes I get careless/lazy about that! Wish I could say, with a straight face, that I never use the TV as a babysitter! :-)