Sunday, April 20, 2008

Meeting the neighbors (part 1)

As I left our worship service today, I intentionally drove past our lot to see if anything had changed. I saw a car parked in the cul-de-sac and several people milling around one of the foundations across the street from ours. I stopped and introduced myself. Jerry and Joann(e?) are an older couple (they have at least one grown daughter named Mary- met her too!) with a small dog. Jerry works for the post office here in Friendswood and Joann recently retired (didn't get from where). Awesome! As much as I love having other kids for my kids to play with, I also adored having Bill and Helen Kennedy live across from us in Arlington. They treated Jonas and Carleigh like their own grandkids, and were able to help us with stuff around the house that we either didn't know how to do, or didn't have the tools for. I have no idea what Jerry and Joann will be like, but I am excited that we get to find out.

1 comment:

Brad said...

That's great. The foundation that's being poured now has very little to do with cement. I also like how the value of intergenerational community oozes from this post. Nice.