Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gum in her hair

Carleigh walked up to me about an hour ago and pointed at her head. I was on a conference call with my boss, or I would have shouted the first thing that came to my mind.

In case you don't know, my daughter is "hair challenged". She is 4 years old and had her first trim in March, which was simply to even up the back. Even before the trim the back of her hair was less than two inches long. The front is even more stunted, and doesn't seem to have progressed past 1 inch. I constantly get compliments from strangers about her adorable hair cut, to which I explain God gets all the credit, since this is all He has given her. What you see is definitely no trendy trim. I long for the day that a bow or barrette will go in her hair! I did the head band bows when she was much younger, but she'll have nothing to do with those now. And I have even eeked out pig tails, but they really looked forced and not attractive.

So an hour ago, Carleigh alerts me to the wad of GUM in the front of her hair (about an inch behind her hairline, right in the middle). She has tried to get it out herself, but has only managed to get it spread around an area roughly 2x3 inches. If I were to cut it out, the entire front of her head would be bald. So I grabbed the peanut butter and started massaging it in the gum. Not sure if you've heard differently, but this did nothing but cause her to have gum and peanut butter in her hair.

I went online, searched for possible resolutions, and went with the cooking oil idea. I don't have any oil in the house, but I have a brand new can of cooking spray. It seems to have worked. Lots of her hair came out with the gum, peanut butter, and oil, but not as much as cutting would have taken. I wish I had snapped some pictures, but I wasn't thinking clearly.

2 comments:

sara said...

Ohhh no!! I wouldn't be thinking clearly either! How did she get gum in her hair?! Ugh, well thank goodness you found ways to get it (and the peanut butter) out without losing too much of her beautiful golden locks.

Andrea Himmelsehr said...

She likes to take it out of her mouth and play with it. I've told her umpteen times not to do that. Maybe she'll have learned this time...but I doubt it.