Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Friendships Old and New

This weekend was busy, but so much fun! The kids and I drove in from the valley to go to Megan Sanders 5th birthday party. We met the Segel's at the Sanders' house and had the perfect weather for an outdoor party. The kids were able to run in and out of the house at will, ride bikes and scooters, and play on the jungle gym. We had a pinata and eventually a water balloon fight. I can't speak for anyone else, but it was my idea of perfect! And as I sat and sipped a Mojito (thanks John- you always know how to make me smile) I relished in the fact that I am blessed beyond measure. My two very best friends since 3rd grade are STILL my two very best friends. We have a total of 8 kids between us, and each one is healthy and beautiful and smart and funny and sweet and kind. They like each other and call us all Aunt or Uncle. Each of our husbands' gets along with the others, and we live within 2 hours of each other, so gatherings like this are possible. We have known each other long enough now that our conversations always include some trip down memory lane. These people are my family, and I hope they know how much I love them. We are so comfortable with each other that the smart cracks about gray hair and wider waist lines are taken in stride (usually!) and I even am able to poke fun at Sara's mom without fear of retribution. What a deal we have going! It's hard to believe we ever swore we'd never speak again (those High School emotions ran high) and yet Jodi and I talk 6 or 7 times a week, and Sara and I are on the phone 4-5 times each week.

Then on Sunday, I gathered with the newest members of my family- my church. After service we went to the Simmons' home and shared a wonderful Easter lunch. We've know these new friends for about a year now, and the conversations are different that those I had on Saturday, but no less precious. I'm able to laugh and joke with each of these new friends almost as easily as the old ones. The stories don't go back nearly as far, but we already share some inside jokes. (Kris is not allowed to christen my house slab in any way....) One fun part of my new friends is that I get to learn something every time we are together. I already know I want to take family vacations with these guys, and I would LOVE to have the new people meet the old ones. What a day that will be!


Other stuff- my interview went well, but I always interview well. It's that God given gift of gab. Whether it gets me the job or not is still to be determined- but I am happy with my effort! Also, Craig and I BOTH maintained our weights this past week. Not a pound was lost on either side. That's great, considering the food I consumed at the party on Saturday and at Easter lunch (mmmm- if you haven't yet, you HAVE to try Elizabeth's cheese grits...). But I have no excuse this week, so I better see some numbers dropping on Saturday!
Have to share this sweet picture of Carleigh- she's wearing a dress handed down from Jodi. Another wonderful perk of my old friends- we get to share kids' clothes.

No comments: