Thursday, December 11, 2008

Super cool gifts I never expected

I'll admit I'm a little bummed this year that we won't be able to get the kids everything they want for Christmas. There just isn't enough money. Not that they will go without, as those Nebraska Himmelsehrs are known spoilers! The Walzel side never disappoints, either. But I am thrilled at the gifts I've been given in the last 24 hours that I never saw coming!
Last night, in League City, Texas, south of Houston, it snowed. A lot! Big, fat, beautiful flakes! Enough accumulated that the neighborhood kids made snowmen, snowballs, and snow angels. Did I mention that was all at 10:30 last night? It didn't matter- it was wonderful! It started around 6, when Craig and I were driving to a dinner party in the fancy side of town. The Christmas music on the radio, the lights, the fact that we were on a date and it was not going to cost us a dime, combined with the unexpected snow was almost too much to handle! I don't think the smile ever left my face. (Except when we exited at Westheimer from 610- that is a crazy intersection...)

The snow was long gone by noon today, but the weather was still crisp and clear. Very nice! I was waiting at Panera for Craig to join me for lunch when he called my cell phone and told me to run outside and look up in the sky. I quickly did and at first had no idea what I was looking at, until I looked closer to the horizon (I had been looking straight up) and saw this...
Not this exactly (as that is Kennedy Space Center in the picture), but the Space Shuttle being carried by a 747! And it was about that far away, maybe a little closer! Ellington Field is a few miles from where I stood, and NASA of course is down the road, so this may not be a complete fluke, but I sure wasn't expecting it.
What a treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment! I missed the space shuttle when it landed in Fort Worth yesterday, I only saw it on TV. I can't believe the Clear Lake area got that much snow; It never snowed at all in the seven and a half years I lived there.