Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008


Craig and I have been known to be spontaneous. We bought an Xterra because we thought it would be fun to stop by and test drive one- 2 hours later it was in our driveway. We bought our first house because I thought it would be neat to walk through this model home. I handed them a check for the earnest money less than an hour after we got there. Our first road trip together was mentioned in a movie theatre and started the next morning! We've done our share of thoughtful planning, too, but some of the best decisions we've ever made were made on the fly.

Take yesterday, for example. We had spent Thanksgiving with my family on a deer lease Northwest of Austin. It was a good break from the ordinary. On our way back to Boerne (we went to see my old friend Brad) we saw a sign for Enchanted Rock. I've heard of this place, and always wondered what it entailed. We hardly hesitated to make the turn in to the State Park and began our trek up this crazy landmark. I was so proud of my kids- hardly a whine out of them as they hiked along side of us. It was just cool enough to keep from breaking a sweat, but not cold enough to put on a jacket. And the best surprise of all waited for us at the top- sunset! We couldn't have timed it better if we had tried! The rolling hills below us, the fall colors around us...it was glorious!

But the thing that struck me the most was my sudden desire to lift my hands and praise God! That this weird piece of naked rock in the middle of Texas was no accident. God formed it and prepared it just like everything else in His world. I started singing low "Our God is an Awesome God" and then Carleigh starts belting it out next to me. Even my four year old was moved by the awesomeness of our Creator! So I stood there, loving every second of my existence, and thanking God for the things that had brought us to that moment. Our goofy spontaneity, a reluctant camping trip, the health of each of my family members, the time off to enjoy such a moment. And the love of a gracious God.

It was a great trip. Even my t-sip friend Brad was gracious enough to not mock my Aggies, and his lovely wife made me some of the best coffee I have ever had. I drove from Boerne to home, with a quick detour to Smithville, all by myself (well, the rest of the family was in the car, but they were sawing logs before I hit I-10), wide awake at 2:30 am. There is a lot to be said for planning, but these quick scattered unplanned times are some of my favorite!

3 comments:

Liz Jordan said...

Ahhh, I have tears in my eyes reading this. I'd say "I want to be just like you when I grow up" but I don't think we are that far off in age:)

So, I'll just say WOW you are a blessed woman and I pray that once married and with kids, I still maintain every bit of hunger for adventure and spontanaeity as you have...

Holly said...

Ran across your blog while reading through some of Pioneer Woman's blog comments. I love this post! I agree we do serve an awesome God! Are you in TX? My brother and sister in law live there and I LOVE to visit them because Austin has THE BEST RESTAURANTS EVER!!!

Wachsmann Family said...

Love that place! Mark and I went there to celebrate our 10th anniv. We made it up the rock, but it started to rain and we headed down sooner than we would have liked. Beautiful place!