Monday, September 13, 2010

Mind if I brag on Jonas for a bit?

You see, my son and I have the most volatile relationship of any relationship in this house. I can adore him and dislike him within a 30 second window. He can cuddle up to me and flatter me within 10 seconds of saying something snotty and sarcastic. We love each other very much, and push each others' buttons daily. I have struck him in anger (God forgive me) and begged him to forgive me. He is only 9, and I sometimes wonder what the next 9 years will bring us, if we've already seen so much strife. But then, then we have a weekend like this past weekend, and all my concerns slip away.

For his birthday party, we went to Putt Putt Funhouse, and invited 4 of his friends. It was low- key and fun. The kids hit the jackpot, literally, when they played a game that must have been on the fritz, as it continued to dispense tickets long after it should have stopped. In total, Jonas gathered over 2400 tickets! And the other kids all agreed they should pool their tickets and give them all to Jonas, as he was the birthday boy.

When the kids emerged from the ticket-redemption place, they each were wearing large multi-colored hats, similar to the Cat in the Hat. Each hat was a different color combination. Jonas had chosen to use his tickets to get each kid something, instead of keeping them all to himself. I was proud, to say the least, and the kids were thrilled.

In a separate incident, we were talking about why we call 9/11 Patriot's Day. Jonas asked why those people wanted to kill so many people. I explained, "Those men believed that people who don't think the way they do are sinners, and must be killed." Jonas replied, "Well, that's ridiculous. They'd have to kill everyone in the entire world, including themselves, as we are all sinners. The only perfect person is Jesus."

Did your jaw drop open like mine did? That's a truth many adults don't get in their entire life, but my 9 year old stated it just as confidently as he was saying his shirt was green.

I thank God for that first-born of mine, and for his bright mind and kind heart. I don't doubt that he will teach me as i try to teach him.

1 comment:

Sara said...

what a smart, kind hearted boy. :)

I love that he shared his birthday loot with his buddies; and love just as much that he understood the truth in his innocent statement about 9/11.

Happy 9, Jonas!