Friday, October 10, 2008

An enigma

How can one person simutaneously make you want to clone him and strangle him? This is my current opinion of my eldest, Jonas. In one 24 hour period I have had butterflies in my stomache at the mere sight of him, and had to pray to God to control my hands so I didn't whack him across the face. I have been so proud of him I could bust, and so eager to change him I could cry. How is this possible?
First, he has a face that is a great combo of me and Craig, so how can that not evoke love? He has these gray blue eyes that are exactly the color of mine, and a splash of freckles across his nose. He has a cleft in his chin just like my first love- Huey Lewis. (I know I know...pathetic) And his hair is exactly the length I like it right now. Throw in some missing front teeth and you have a sight to melt this mom's heart!
Then there were the glowing words from his teacher last night at Open House. He's polite, and empathetic, able to participate in all conversations and eager to share. He's a great kid! (I might have knocked some other parents over as I walked through the hallways after that with my swollen pride).
Another glowing moment came yesterday at the grocery store when he asked if we could put some food in the "Help End Hunger" basket. And at dinner last night he asked if we could put a basket on the end of our street with a "Help End Hunger" sign and collect food for all the hungry people on our own. His heart is huge! (Did I tell you about the starving children incident? I'll have to tell that story some other time.)
But then there were the bedtime arguments and one o'clock whining sessions. The attitude when I told him it was time to get dressed and to stop building Lego's. I won't go in to those details.
So it's hard to be Jonas' mom, I think. Two sides of the same coin, I think. But I know the love wins. I just hope I can remember that the next time the other side of this child shows his ugly face (which could easily be at 3:10 this afternoon when I pick him up at school)

No comments: