Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jonacio el Magnifico

This is Jonas' stage name when he does magic. Have I mentioned it is his passion? Probably not, as I've hoped it would fade away. But I think it is time I acknowledge that he loves magic and practices all. the. time.

Which I've heard is key to becoming a good magician. Those illusions and tricks and slight of hand have a whole lot to do with timing, and that comes with time and practice. There was a magician on the cruise ship in January, and after his show we asked him a few questions. When I told him my son wanted to be a magician, he said "Tell him to spend hours in front of the mirror, perfecting."

While this is not the hobby I would have chosen for my son (I don't have anything AGAINST it, but would have preferred the piano, or baseball, or reading), I have done what I can to encourage him. Gifts I have given him have included books on illusions and a magic cape. And I try really really hard NOT to let on that I know the secret behind the trick when he shows me a new one.

As I said in my last post, he tried out for the Mesquite Children's Chorus. We found out Tuesday that he did not make the final cut. But he also found out on Tuesday that he did make the talent show at school, in which he will do...a magic show. I heard the slightest bit of disappointment in his voice when he told me about the chorus, but it was immediately covered with pure joy at telling me about the talent show. I am very happy that he is very happy!

And last week, Jonas told me that he had been thinking about how he could use his love of magic in the real world. See, while I try to encourage his passion, I also inherited enough realism from my mom to back it up with "Don't expect magic to pay the bills. Enjoy it as a hobby, but have a backup plan". Jonas proceeded to tell me that he thinks he could use his illusions to help tell people about God and Jesus.

"Go on," I said. I was intrigued.

"Like the flood and Noah," he explained. "I could do an illusion where I poor a bunch of water in a cup or bowl, and then have a dove appear, after I pause awhile to tell the story, and then show the audience that the water is gone! Or, I could create a prop that looks like a tomb, and put a boy-doll in it, then make it disappear after I count to three, like Jesus did."

Don't know about you, but I think his plan is excellent. Again, it may not pay the bills, but it will help him share his love of magic and of God. Which, in light of eternity, is much more important. :)

No comments: